Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Birdsong

Have you ever thought about the sound of the birds as they sing in the afternoon?

At this moment there is a robin chirping in the tree near my window and I have this overwhelming sense of peace. Like watching the sun rise over the mountains or the sparkle of a crystal clear waterfall. I have found time and time again how much the simple beauty of everyday things brightens my day.

I once made a promise to myself that at least once every day I would stop and enjoy the beauty of the world around me, even if it is as simple as noticing the particular shade of blue that the sky is today or the way that the trees dance in the breeze. While I have not kept that promise to the letter, I have found that when I do remember, or find myself marveling at one thing or another that it improves my whole outlook.

I love watching thunderstorms. I find them to be almost hypnotic. The balance of the beauty of the lightning and the bass rumble of the thunder mixed with the realization of the awesome power of it all. I read an article the other day about how Denver got a FOOT of HAIL after a particularly nasty storm. I didn't even know that much hail even could fall.

This time of year is the best time for storms, when all the hot wet air gets mixed around enough to throw down sparks. It is amazing.

I love summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment